Friday, May 10, 2013

Pesto Tomato Bread

We are back!!!! I can't believe I am done another year of school, but I am so glad to finally have a break and be home.  I thought today I would share a recipe with you all today.  The one thing about being home and not worrying about school is that I get to cook/bake more often!  I love finding new recipes (seriously you should see how many recipes I have bookmarked) and I absolutely LOVE being in the kitchen.  I really wanted to start making my own bread, so I thought I would start with making a bread using my bread machine. I actually just used the bread machine for the mixing (to make the dough) and then baked it in the oven.  The bread was a Tomato Pesto Bread.  It was soo flavourful and light and fluffy.  It was the perfect bread for a savoury sandwich or even just plain.

This bread uses bread flour, which has a higher protein content than all purpose flour.  This helps with the production of gluten.  Gluten gives the bread its elastic, light, and chewy texture.  Lower gluten in breads can lead to a heavy and dense bread. If you substitute all purpose you may end up with a heavy, dense bread that may not rise as much.

Pesto Tomato Bread

1/2 cup Milk
1/4 cup Water
1/4 cup Pesto
1/4 cup Sun dried Tomatoes coarsely chopped(NOT oil packed)  Pre-soak in water or broth of choice for 10 min and drain.
2 cups of Bread Flour
1 tsp Salt
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp Bread Machine Yeast (Instant yeast)

Measure ingredients carefully and place in bread machine pan. When putting them in the pan, usually it is liquids first, flour, other dry ingredients and than the yeast (Check your bread machine manual to ensure you are putting them in the correct order.)

If going to make the bread in the bread machine select basic/white cycle and light or medium crust colour. Once complete, remove baked bread from pan and cool on wire rack.

If going to make in the oven, select dough cycle on machine. Once the dough is made, remove from the pan and place in bread pan. Cover and allow to rest until it has doubled its size.  Cook in oven at 350 for 30-40 minutes.

Enjoy!!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment, they make our day!