Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Comparison


I know I usually do an outfit post on Wednesday, but you know when you need to get something off your chest. Well I'm having one of those moments right now.  I guess that's what blogging is all about though right? Writing about what you're passionate about, something that you feel is important and needs to be heard.  Maybe just maybe someone else needs to hear it too.  Maybe someone needs to stumble along something that will push them forward a little bit.  So are you ready, well you have to be! Because here comes the deep stuff.

Comparison.   

It needs a line of its own.  Comparison.  We all do it right? We compare how we look, how we think, what we believe.  We compare what we have, what we don't have, our talents our skills, our joy, our life.  It's exhausting.  It's painful.  It's not fun.  Lately, I've been doing a lot of comparing.  I want to be honest on this blog.  Life isn't all sparkle.  Yes, I am a firm believer that we should try to add joy into every second of our life.  But how about those seconds that we look at someone else and we don't feel good enough.  Or that we don't deserve what we have.  In those moments its pretty hard to add sparkle isn't it. 

I feel like we've been forced to compare since we were littles.  We were put into hockey tournaments, math contests, spelling bees, dance competitions.  Who had the best snacks, the best hair, the best pokemon cards (okay, those were SO cool).  It only heightened as we got older though.  Who had the best marks, who made the school teams, who got the lead in the musical.  Then it got worse again, who got the job, who has the best house, and family, and car? Ugh. It's exhausting. 

Then.. there's the girl world. That world is the scariest eek!  The perfect hair, the perfect clothes, the perfect friends.. even the perfect blog!  I always look at other girls and think to myself how wonderful their life looks.  How beautiful their new hair is, their new shade of mac lipstick, their flawless skin.  Sometimes, I even think that I'm not good enough compared to other people.

I'm not naive (well maybe a little) I know some of this is necessary for the world as we know it to function.  I know we can't eliminate this constant comparison.  I guess all I'm trying to say is.  We ARE good enough.  We should be so happy with who we are.  Can we make improvements. Absolutely. Can we better ourselves. For sure! Are there times when comparison pushes us to be the best versions of ourselves? Yes.  But should we try to mould ourselves to be someone else? Someone we're not. Not at all! We're all who we're supposed to be (with a little growing room of course).   

I think sometimes though, we need to hear it.  From a close friend, a stranger, a momma, a fellow blogger.  But you know what.. you won't fully believe it, until you start telling it to yourself.  So, my goal from now on is to stop comparing. Will this work 100%? probably not (I will still envy those perfect top buns, and accent nails).  But I am going to try my hardest, and put in a conscience effort.  Because guess what? I AM good enough, and so are you!

Happy Wednesday, I'll be back next week with our regularly scheduled programming.
Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. It's so true . I am agreeing every word . Comparing is the thing we can't ever stop . But it feels better if we look at our selves then to those who're in even bad condition than us . Well I know it's hard to do , because it's equal for everyone . And especially girls , we're so comparitive . But getting over it , the greatest thing you'd add in your goals :)
    Noor @ Noor's Place

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the quote at the top, and your post. I think it's really easy to get caught up in comparing yourself to others. This is a great reminder to look inside and be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's one of my favorite quotes of all time!! I love your blog! #New Follower#
    Lifewithachristianwife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true! I think it's definitely one to live by

      Delete
  4. LOVE this. It is so true! I did a post about this on my personal blog awhile ago because it is so important yet such a hard concept to really practice. Here's to no comparing!! - We are good enough! Thanks for stopping by my blog!
    -Bree @ aBree Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Great post. I found you through thebloghop .Now following you.Please stop by and say hi when you get a chance.
    Be sure and check out my new Blog Hop that we just started, It's Weekly Goals Link Up. It's a great way to stay on track. Have a great day. :) Here's the link in case you want to check it out.
    http://lenettacarnes.blogspot.com/2013/02/weekly-goals-5.html Thanks again
    Lenetta

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a comment, they make our day!