Thursday, January 17, 2013

Bows and Arrows: Trying Something New

Happy Thursday!!!

I cannot believe how fast this week has flown by, it feels as if it was just the dreaded Monday.  As much as I love when the weeks fly by, it can be scary because that means exam period will be approaching. Anyways, I have always been an athletic person; involved with dance for as long as I can remember, participated in track and field, yoga, Pilates, tried soccer, and cheerleading. I do not think I could live without some sort of physical activity, and that is one reason I always go back to my dance classes

I am always up for trying new things and this week I decided to try a new sport. It really isn't a normal sport you would think of because there isn't any cardio involved or lots of movement.  But it works your muscles a lot!  I tried archery!!
  
If you asked me before, if I considered it a sport or a workout, I may have said no, but trust me now I definitely think it is quite a workout. And if my muscles feel worked than I know they got a workout.  My friend has done archery for many years and she was the first person I have met who participates in archery. I thought it was so different and interesting, which made me more intrigued. So she asked if I wanted to go learn archery and I totally agreed.  

When I got to the range, I was actually a little hesitant because the room was small and it was nerve-racking with other people there. They were able to pull back the bow with ease and almost always hit the target every time. My friend ensured me to not worry about it and showed me what to do.  I got all ready, but I was a giggly mess. I try and pull the bow back and I can't... well was I embarrassed.  I tried over and over, not being able to.  


Finally I got it after the 6th try and let go. Though I didn't hit the target I was so proud that I was able to pull the bow back.  It took me a while to get the hang of it, but by the end I was able to hit the target.  I always thought of my arm muscles being strong, even though my arms are tiny, so I was surprised when I couldn't pull the bow back. It just took some time to figure out what muscles I needed to use. The next day my arms were in some pain, and I did get a little bruising because of the string hitting my arm (didn't realize that was happening until after, I need to work on how I am holding the bow).

I'm proud of myself for not giving up and trying something new. So I challenge you on two things:
  1. Try something new and go in with a positive attitude.   (Hold your head up high and don't care what others think, because at one time they may have been in your shoes too.)
  2. Don't give up because you will eventually succeed.
Have an Terrific Thursday!!
 Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment, they make our day!